Can be worn 24 hours/7 days a week. Plan on replacing your Hock Shields after about 3 months of full-time wear. However, some horses have been known to wear their Hock Shields for 6-12 months. Sold in pairs.
Content Outer Shell – tear-resistant neoprene
Lining – soft fleece
Because some products can burn skin when wrapped, please consult veterinarian when using medications under our Shields.
Not to be used on horses in turn-out or on pasture. It is not advisable to restrict the leg when your horse is in a full gallop.
Note: Some horses may grow white hairs on back of leg where top band rubs.
If your horse has neoprene sensitivity, do not use these products.
Why do some horses need the Ultra?
- Some horses pivot on their hocks while getting up and spin their Hock Shields leaving their hock sores exposed.
- It can be used if a horse has an injury further forward than the typical bed sores.
- If a horse that has to wear a bandage, this will keep the wrap in place and prevent it from tearing.
- It can keep the hock warmer for the horse with arthritis.
How to determine the correct size:
- Measure the smallest point just above the hock joint.
- Make sure the leg is straight and the hoof is flat on the ground.
13” up to 15.9″= Regular Horse
16” up to 20″= XL/Draft
HOCK SHIELD ULTRA:
13″ – 14.9″ = S/M
15″ – 16.9″ = L/XL
I was tentative to order these as I was sure they would not stay put. I have been very pleased that they do stay on better than I could have imagined! They are really helping my horse's hock sores heal up. We live where the ground is quite abrasive and he is "tender skinned"!